You can make changes to a return you’ve already filed with the ReFILE feature. ReFILE lets you amend and resubmit a return to government through the tax software you used to prepare and file your return. ReFILE is quick, efficient (no postage or paper required), and simple, and it is available in H&R Block’s 2020 tax software.
Note: You can only ReFILE your return once you’ve received your notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
Some of the most common scenarios where you might want to ReFILE your return are:
- You got a late slip (e.g. RRSP contribution slip) that you did not include in your original return
- You forgot to include a source of income in your original return
- You forgot to claim a deduction or credit that you are entitled to
Note: You can't use ReFILE to make any adjustments to your personal information (changed marital status, changed address, etc.) or if a ReFile restriction applies to you; it can only be used to adjust a filed tax return (e.g. missed reporting income, forgot to include a slip, etc.).
You can’t use ReFILE to amend or adjust your return if:
Your original return hasn’t been assessed yet
Note: Your 2020 return has been assessed if you’ve received a notice of assessment (NOA) for it (through the Express Notice of Assessment (eNOA) service, My Account, or mail)
You have a reassessment that’s in progress
You’re applying for child and family benefits
You’re applying for the disability tax credit
You changed an amount carried back to a previous year, such as a capital or non-capital loss
You immigrated to Canada in 2020
You're splitting pension income or changed an amount related to pension income splitting
You’re allocating a refund to other CRA accounts
You’re subject to income tax for more than one province or territory
Your original return was filed by the CRA as a 152(7) assessment
You’re amending an election or making an election (such as one on the T2057: Election on Disposition of Property by a Taxpayer to a Taxable Canadian Corporation form)
You can use the ReFILE service to amend your 2020, 2019, 2018, and 2017 tax returns. However, you’ll need to use the H&R Block tax software for the specific year the return belongs to. For example, to ReFILE your 2019 tax return, you can only use the 2019 H&R Block tax software.
Yes! If you need to amend your Québec return (TP-1), you can use the ReFILE functionality within H&R Block’s 2020 tax software to adjust and submit your return electronically. Keep in mind, in order to ReFILE your return, you must have submitted your original CRA and Revenu Québec returns through NETIFLE. You also have to wait until you’ve received your notice of assessment before you can ReFILE your return.
You can also choose to print out the adjusted return and mail it to Revenu Québec.
Follow these steps in H&R Block's 2020 tax software:
- On your Dashboard, OPEN the return that you want to adjust.
- When you make a change to a slip, form, or field in your return, you will see a pop-up asking if you want make changes to a return that has already been filed. To confirm that you want to make changes to your return, click Yes, Change My Return.
Remember: You can’t make changes to your personal information with ReFILE.
- In the Making changes to your 2020 return window, click Start Making Changes.
- Make changes to your return as required.
- When you arrive on the SUMMARY page under WRAP-UP, click ReFILE Summary to see how your changes have impacted your return.
- When you’re ready, click ReFILE Now on the FILE tab to submit your amended return.
Note: If you’re adjusting a Québec return, before you ReFILE, you might have to answer some questions from Revenu Québec about why you amended your return.
Yes. If you’ve filed your 2020 T1135 and need to make changes to it, you can file an amended T1135 form.
Once you’ve made changes to your T1135 form in H&R Block’s tax software:
Navigate to the FILE tab.
Select the method with which you want to refile.
Note: When you file your amended T1135 form, the method with which you refile must match your original filing method. For example, if you originally filed your T1135 form online with NETFILE, your amended T1135 must also be filed online.
If your refile method is Online, click Amend Now next to your amended T1135 form. If your refile method is By Mail, click Mail-in Version next to your amended T1135 form to download the form. You’ll need to mail this form to the CRA.
If you ReFILE’d your 2020 return, but then see a mistake in the ReFILE’d copy that you need to fix, you will need to complete a second ReFILE after you amend your return. To do this:
- Log into H&R Block’s 2020 tax software.
- On the Dashboard, click Edit for ReFile next to the return you want to amend.
- Follow steps 2 to 6 in the section How do I ReFILE my 2020 tax return in the software?.
- ReFILE: Online adjustments for income tax and benefit returns (CRA website)
- Request for an adjustment to an income tax return (Revenu Québec website)